General Information

Aloha and welcome to the 196th Infantry Brigade, the Training Support Brigade (TSB) for the Pacific Basin. The 196th Infantry Brigade would like to welcome you and your family to the Charger Brigade. We're confident that you will find your forthcoming assignment both challenging and professionally rewarding. Your assignment to the TSB is to a high profile organization formed entirely of officers and NCOs. Our primary mission is to coach, advise, mentor, assist and evaluate small unit (squad to platoon level) training of Army National Guard and Army Reserve units in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, California, Oregon, and Alaska. The experience you bring will contribute significantly to the accomplishment of the missions of your assigned Army Reserve and National Guard units. Like others before you, you can take pride in knowing that we train units to fight and win on the battlefield.

In addition to providing quality mentoring and training to reserve component Army units throughout the Pacific area of responsibilty, the Charger Brigade is also responsible for military assistance to civilian authorities and mobilization of support reserve component units.

The 196th Infantry Brigade is headquarted at Fort Shafter, HI and its subordinate battalions are dispersed throughout the Hawaiian islands, American Samoa, Guam, Alaska, California and Oregon.

  • 1st BN, 196th Infantry Brigade, Barbers Point, HI
  • 2nd BN, 196th Infantry Brigade, JBER, AK
  • 3rd BN, 196th Infantry Brigade, Guam
  • Support BN, 196th Infantry Brigade, Shafter Flats, HI
  • JPMRC , 196th Infantry Brigade, Schofield Barracks, HI

Hawaii is home to units, activities, and installations from all branches of the US armed forces. Various support activities from Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard bases are at your disposal to assist in your transition to life in Hawaii. Some helpful guides for the US military in Hawaii can be found at this website.

Contact Information

    BDE S1: 808-438-0020/0022


Once you receive orders to the 196th Infantry Brigade, the Brigade S1 immediately assigns you a sponsor to assist in making your transition to the brigade as smooth as possible. If you are coming to the 196th and do not know who your sponsor is, contact the Brigade S1 at 808-438-0020/0022, so that we can get you and your sponsor in contact with one another as soon as possible.

There are many things to prepare for when being assigned to the 196th Infantry Brigade. You are likely to have many questions about schools, pet quarantine, vehicle shipment, transitional housing and much more. Do not hesitate to ask for assistance from your sponsor and to ask questions.

The following information is provided to help you find answers to questions on a diverse number of subjects. It is a starting point for you and your family to explore your interests and requirements.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

Upon arrival at the Honolulu International Airport you will need to collect your bags and meet your sponsor who will be waiting to take you to sign in at the unit. If, for any reason, your sponsor isn't there for you, you should go directly to the USO located in the baggage claim area. There you can contact the unit duty officer on call at pager number (808) 289-2638.

If you are bringing family members with you, you are responsible for arranging temporary lodgings upon your arrival here in Hawaii. Your sponsor can assist you in obtaining temporary lodging.

If you arrive without your family and qualify for TLA, you will receive TLA at a rate of 60 percent. With one family member that amount goes up to 100 percent, with an additional 25 percent per additional family member (ie. a service member with 4 family members would receive 175 percent of TLA). Some hotels require that you pay up front, so make sure you have adequate funding (ie. credit card or travelers checks). It can be pretty expensive to have to pay for a rental car AND ten days of living at a hotel BEFORE you can receive TLA money from the local Finance office. You will not receive the first ten days of TLA until AFTER the first ten days, so plan accordingly. You will need to have a bill from the hotel before Finance will pay you, however you will not need to show any receipts for food costs. Another good thing to do while you're looking for a place to live is to stay in contact with the port where your automobile is coming in.

TLA will be approved for any commercial hotel but suggest to check if there are rooms available in any of the Guest Houses at Tripler, Hickam or Schofield Inn.

TLA has been approved for the following hotels:

Tripler Guest House: (808) 839-2336

Inn at Schofield Barracks: (800) 490-9638 toll free, DSN 315-455-5036, Comm:(808) 624-9650 Hotel Direct Number

Hale Koa Hotel: (800) 367-6027 toll free or (808) 955-0555 Hotel Direct Number (between 8 am and 4 pm Hawaii time, daily except for Federal holidays)

Hilton Hawaiian Village: (855) 786-4702 toll free; (808) 949-4321 Hotel Direct Number

Holiday Inn Express Wakiki: (888) 465-4329 toll free; (808) 947-2828 Hotel Direct Number

The Best Western "The Plaza" Hotel: (800) 780-7234 Toll Free Reservations or (808) 836-3636 Hotel Direct Number

Housing Information

Housing is difficult to find sometimes. We all go through the hassles of finding a suitable place to live. However, you're taking an important first step here. You might want to print this information for future reference.

If you're a single soldier, this information will not apply to you.

Once you've arrived, with or withour your family, and after you've signed in, your next important step is lodging. You will need to report to the Fort Shafter Housing Office (808-438-5063) within three working days of your arrival to have your name placed on a housing list or to be able to get authorization for off-base housing. Be warned that housing lists are sometimes six months or more of waiting. Other times, it is possible to get lucky and snag a house that someone else has turned down for whatever reason. Housing availability is based on a number of factors, such as your rank, family size, and when you were placed on the housing waiting list.

Further detailed information can be found by logging onto the HI DOD LODGING website or GU LODGING website and AK LODGING website.

Household Goods

How Long Will It Take My Household Goods To Arrive?

As soon as you've found a place to live, either on-base or off-base, you are going to want to claim your household goods. Be aware that your hold baggage will arrive earlier, typically 1 to 2 weeks earlier than your household goods.

You will want to contact the Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO) at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center, Pearl Harbor. They maintain a 24 hour Voice Response System to help you claim your property. Their number is: (808) 477-4497. If your property is in, this system will connect you to a Shipping Specialist who will give you a briefing, and arrange for a delivery date. Of particular note: The movers are required, if desired, to unpack and setup your household goods. This is important to remember. Also, during the briefing, ensure you have the number to the shipping manager, who will drive out to your site and supervise the movers if there are any problems.

Keep in mind the following average time-frames for shipping and receiving your household goods:

If shipping from the West Coast, your property should arrive in Hawaii within 45 days.

If shipping from Central U.S., your property should arrive in Hawaii within 50 days.

If shipping from the East Coast, your property should arrive within 55 to 60 days.

These are averages and not absolutes, but they are a generally good guideline to follow when planning your move.

Automobile Information

The government will pay to ship one privately owned vehicle per service member when you PCS to Hawaii. If you need to ship more than one vehicle and your spouse is not also a service member who is on orders to PCS here as well, inquire at your transportation office about alternate means of shipping a second vehicle such as "Space A" or using a commercial shipper at your own expense.

"Space A" shipping usually requires you to drive your vehicle to a port on the West Coast of the continental United States.

Rather than purchasing a vehicle in Hawaii (which can be costly) you may also find it less expensive to pay the approximate $1000 to ship a second vehicle to Hawaii through a commercial vehicle shipper. When using a commercial shipper, also keep in mind that it may also save you money to drop the vehicle off at their shipping center rather than having them come and pick the vehicle up from you.

Again, inquire with your transportation office about the options available to you locally.

Where Do I Pick Up My Auto?

Your auto will be sent to Sand Island (Off Nimitz Highway). You should call the 24 hour line: (808) 848-8383 to get information on whether your auto has arrived. Have your DD Form 788 (Shipping Documents) when you call and when you go to pick it up. You can also check the status of your vehicle's whereabouts at PCS My POV.

The type of auto insurance needed in Hawaii is called "No-Fault", and is required for everyone operating their auto. No vehicle can be driven on the roads of Hawaii without it. It's best to get this insurance immediately.

All vehicles have to be registered on base within 72 hours of arrival. You must have your registration, ID Card, a safety inspection, and proof of Hawaii's No-Fault Insurance. Your auto has to be registered with the Hawaii DMV within 10 days from the time you picked up your vehicle.

If you are a resident of another state, you do not have to pay the weight tax. You will need to get a waiver form from either the Military Personnel Division or the S-1 Office. This form is called a DF-L-50. Most times, it only costs about $10 dollars to register your car with the DMV.


Hawaii is a rabies free state. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the presence and spread of rabies. Success of the quarantine program is dependent on maintaining isolation of your pet from other animals for the required quarantine period. Importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii is governed by Chapter 4-29 of the State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture Administrative Rules. This law says that these animals are required to complete a 120-day confinement in the State Animal Quarantine Station. If specific pre-arrival and post-arrival requirements are met, animals may qualify for a 30-day quarantine or a new 5-day-or-less quarantine that became effective on June 30, 2003. Do not delay in preparing your family pets for movement to Hawaii as it could mean the difference between them having to be quarantined for 30 days, for 120 days or for the new 5 day or less program.

Please click on this link to learn more about the animal quarantine information Also, it is advantageous to have the animal checked for heart worms, and start a prophylactic treatment. Be sure to include any medication and instructions with the cage of the animal.

Please read this pamphlet to determine the exact requirements for your pets and each quarantine program. For more information on animal quarantine or importation of other pets, please go to the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture website or you may e-mail at: For information on importing dogs and cats, you may call (808) 483-7151.

What Are My Opportunities For Education?


There are numerous opportunities for furthering your education here in Hawaii. The Fort Shafter Education Center offers classes to further your degree or area of interest. Leadership classes are also available here. In addition, Tripler Army Medical Center and Schofield Barracks are other Army Education Centers available to assist in furthering your education. For more information about your opportunities, click here.

Public Schools

If you have school-aged children, there are some things you need to know. If your child will be starting school for the first time in Hawaii, the following documents must be provided to the applicable school:

1. A complete health examination record (State of Hawaii Form 41, Pupil's Medical Report) or a Doctor's physical exam statement to prove that (a) a physical examination, (b) a TB Tine Test, and (c) all required immunizations have been completed within the last 12 months;


2. A signed statement from your Doctor or medical clinic to prove that your child is receiving this medical care, or has an appointment to start receiving this care. Except for the TB Clearance, the law allows you 90 days (three months) to complete all medical requirements. After that time, you will receive official notice on wether your child is qualified to attend school.

The following immunizations are required for entry into school:

Diptheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT)
T.B. Tine Test
To avoid unnecessary delays, please carry your children's immunization health records in your personal baggage when you travel.

Private Schools

Many good private schools are available in Hawaii, most with a religious affiliation. Tuition rates range from $900 to $7,500+ per year. Some schools with very good reputations are normally filled to capacity for the coming year by the early summer months. If you plan to enroll your child(ren) in a private school, contact should be made with the school(s) as soon as possible upon arrival in Hawaii. Click on Public and Private Schools in Hawaii website for a current list of public and private schools on Oahu.



The 196th IN BDE is the Indo-Pacific Training Support Brigade. We deliver a unique low-density, high-payoff Total Army combat readiness capability at low-cost for USARPAC that is not be replicated anywhere in the Army. We remain most relevant to the Total Army force and USARPAC when we simultaneously deliver balanced and integrated training support across our NDAA Title XI, SRAAG, and JPMRC (Enhanced Home Station and Multinational training) mission areas.


COL Ryan O'Connor

COL Ryan O'Connor





 1st Battalion
 2nd Battalion
 3rd Battalion
 Support Battalion