9. ITALIAN FOUNTAIN
During World War II, 5,000 Italian prisoners of war in Hawaii, under the guidelines of the Geneva Conventions, participated in non-military labor projects. Some of the more artistic prisoners of war who arrived in Honolulu in 1944 and left in 1945 constructed this fountain located near Palm Circle. During their internment on Oahu, the POWs lived in a fenced-in compound at Sand Island. One of the prisoners of war, Alfredo Giusti of Pietrasanta, Italy, inscribed his name and address on the north side of the fountain.
The fountain base is hexagonal and the central two-tiered bowls are supported by winged lions of St. Mark. The area around the fountain and an adjacent circular paved area are landscaped and have benches in the same Italianate style as the fountain.
The fountain may look a little familiar to those who saw “Pearl Harbor”—the fountain, along with Palm Circle, appeared in the movie a few times.
USARPAC postures and prepares the force for unified land operations, responds to threats, sustains and protects the force, and builds military relationships that develop partner defense capacity in order to contribute to a stable and secure U.S. Pacific Command area of responsibility.
Vincent K. Brooks
|25th Infantry Division|
|U.S. Army Alaska|
|U.S. Army Japan|
|8th Theater Sustainment Command|
|311th Theater Signal Command|
|94th Army Air Missile Defense Command|
|9th Mission Support Command|
|196th Infantry Brigade|
|500th Military Intelligence Brigade|
|18th Medical Command|
|5th Battlefield Coordination Detachment|