8. Hawaiian Monarchy Cannon
Shortly after British Captain James Cook visited the Hawaiian Islands in 1778, the Hawaiians—particularly King Kamehameha—developed an interest in obtaining western weaponry. The Hawaiian Monarchy Cannon, located in Historic Palm Circle, was probably cast in 1848. The dimensions of the cannon are virtually identical with those of a similar cannon at the Army Museum of Hawaii, cast in 1851. It is possible that this gun served as part of a battery of Aloha Guns, formerly located at Punchbowl Crater to bid “aloha” to incoming and outgoing ships. The weight of the cannon is 5,345 pounds and it 10 feet in length and 5 ¼ inches in diameter. It fired a ten-pound shot. Hawaii was an independent kingdom until 1894 and then a republic until the U.S.annexed Hawaii in 1898. The Monarchy Cannon is a reminder of an independent Hawaii.
USARPAC postures and prepares the force for unified land operations, responds to threats, sustains and protects the force, and builds military relationships that develop partner defense capacity in order to contribute to a stable and secure U.S. Pacific Command area of responsibility.
Vincent K. Brooks
|25th Infantry Division|
|U.S. Army Alaska|
|U.S. Army Japan|
|8th Theater Sustainment Command|
|311th Theater Signal Command|
|94th Army Air Missile Defense Command|
|9th Mission Support Command|
|196th Infantry Brigade|
|500th Military Intelligence Brigade|
|18th Medical Command|
|5th Battlefield Coordination Detachment|