In October 1984, the Secretary of the Interior designated Fort Shafter’s Palm Circle District as a National Historic Landmark, recognizing it as one of the Nation’s most significant historic resources associated with the history of Hawaii and the Army in the Pacific.
As you drive around the post, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the scenic beauty along the following roads named in honor of various Army leaders and heroes throughout our history. Some of these roads include:
Benet Drive – Named for Brig. Gen. Stephen Vincent Benet, the Army Chief of Ordnance, 1874 – 1891. He died in 1895. It is possible officials named the drive for his son, Col. James Walker Benet, who served as the Commanding Officer of the Benicia Arsenal in California, and the Armament Officer for the Western Department from 1905 to 1911. He was also the father of poets Stephen Vincent Benet and William Rose Benet, as well as writer Laura Benet. James Walker Benet died in 1928.
Burr Road – Maj. Gen. George Washington Burr, who served as the Chief of Ordnance, Philippine Division, from 1906 to 1907.
Carter Drive – Maj. Gen. William H. Carter, Commanding General, Hawaiian Department, 13 March 1914 – 5 November 1915.
Chapplear Road – Col. Louis S. Chapplear, Adjutant General of the Hawaiian Department from 9 December 1927 to 19 August 1930.
Funston Road – Brig. Gen. Frederick Funston, Commanding General of the Hawaiian Department from 3 April 1913 to 22 January 1914.
Hase Drive and Hase Road – Named for Maj. Gen. William T. Hase, Chief Coast Artillery Corps or perhaps for Col. William S. Hase, who served as the Chief of Staff of the Hawaiian Department, 27 September 1922 – 21 June 1925).
Hyland Lane – Lt. Col. Stephen N. Hyland, Jr., killed at the Pentagon on 11 September 2001. He served in the US Army, Pacific G-1 (Personnel) office from May 1998 to June 2000, and then received a reassignment to the Army Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel at the Pentagon. Hyland Lane was dedicated on 10 November 2002 (small black monument).
Lissak Loop – Col. Ormond Mitchell Lissak, Professor of Ordnance and the Science of Gunnery at the US Military Academy, 1907 – 1908, and the author of Ordnance and Gunnery (1915).
Macomb Road – Brig. Gen. Montgomery Meigs Macomb served as the Commanding General, District of Hawaii, 13 January – 1 October 1911; Commanding General, Department of Hawaii, 1 October 1911 – 15 February 1913; and Commanding General, Hawaiian Department, 15 February – 2 April 1913. He again commanded the Department of Hawaii from 23 January to 12 March 1914.
Montgomery Drive – Col. George Montgomery, U.S. Army Chief of Ordnance during the China Relief Expedition, also known as the Boxer Rebellion (1900 – 1901).
Morton Drive – Maj. Gen. C.G. Morton, who served as the Commanding General of the Hawaiian Department from 13 July 1919 to 4 August 1921.
O’Leary Road – Probably named for Col. Herbert O’Leary, Commanding Officer, Benicia Arsenal, California, 1943 – 1944. He died in 1944.
Parks Drive and Parks Road – Maj. Gen. Floyd L. Parks, the Commanding General of the U.S. Army, Pacific, from 2 February to 8 April 1949.
Rice Drive, Rice Loop, and Rice Street – Brig. Gen. John Hodgen Rice, Chief Ordnance Officer, American Expeditionary Forces, in 1918.
Richardson Road – Lt. Gen. Robert C. Richardson, Commanding General, Hawaiian Department; Central Pacific Area/U.S. Army Forces, Pacific Ocean Area/U.S. Army Forces, Middle Pacific; Military Governor of Hawaii, June 1943 – March 1946.
Strong Street – Brig. Gen. Frederick S. Strong, Commanding General, Hawaiian Department, 8 November 1916 – 5 July 1917.
Wilson Road – Named either for Maj. Gen. William H. Wilson, briefly the Commander of the Hawaiian Department in 1939, or for Col. Ovid O. Wilson, Post Commander, 28 October 1953 – 1 September 1954.
Wisser Road – Brig. Gen. John P. Wisser, Commanding General, Hawaiian Department, 6 November 1915 – 12 May 1916 and 14 September 1917 – 19 May 1918.
Buckner Gate (Fort Shafter’s Main Gate) - On 24 January 1949, Buckner Gate was dedicated in honor of Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. Throughout World War II, Lt. Gen. Buckner served in the Pacific Theater. In June 1944, Buckner received orders for the Central Pacific and assumed command of the new Tenth Army. As he led the land forces in the successful invasion of Okinawa, he suffered mortal wounds on 18 June.
Favreau Field – Named for Corporal Arthur Favreau, Battery E, 64th Coast Artillery (AA), killed in action on 7 December 1941 on the site when a naval anti-artillery shell struck his barracks.
Joe Takata Field – Originally called the “Shafter Bowler,” the 64th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA), who occupied the cantonment area from 1922 to 1943, constructed Joe Takata Field in 1930. It is now named in honor of Sergeant Shigeo “Joe” Takata, a member of the famed 100th Infantry Battalion. Takata became a local baseball star playing for the Azuma and Asahi, two well-known island teams. He enlisted in the Army in 1941 and served with the 100th Infantry Battalion during World War II. He received the Purple Heart and the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary gallantry in the face of the enemy.
USARPAC postures and prepares the force for unified land operations, responds to threats, sustains and protects the force, and builds military relationships that develop partner defense capacity in order to contribute to a stable and secure U.S. Pacific Command area of responsibility.
Vincent K. Brooks