General Information

Aloha and welcome to HHBn USARPAC. We would like to welcome you and your family to our "Pacific Warriors" Ohana(family)Team. We're confident that you will find your forthcoming assignment both challenging and professionally rewarding.

Hawaii is home to units, activities, and installations from all branches of the US armed forces. Various support activities from Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard bases are all available to you while here in Hawaii. Some helpful guides for the US military in Hawaii can be found at this website. The Official Miltary Guide can be viewed on the following website.

Contact Information

S1 OIC: (808)438-1950 S1 NCOIC: (808)438-3508 or Staff Duty: (808)438-3522

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

Upon arrival at the Honolulu International Airport you will need to collect your bags and meet your sponsor who will be waiting to take you to sign in at the unit. If, for any reason, your sponsor is not there for you, you should go directly to the USO located in the baggage claim area. There, you can contact the unit Staff Duty Desk at (808)438-3522.

If you are bringing family members with you, you are responsible for arranging temporary lodging upon your arrival here in Hawaii. Your sponsor can assist you in obtaining temporary lodging.

If you arrive without your family and qualify for TLA, you will receive TLA at a rate of 60 percent. With one family member that amount goes up to 100 percent, with an additional 25 percent per additional family member (ie. a service member with 4 family members would receive 175 percent of TLA). Some hotels require that you pay up front, so make sure you have adequate funds available (ie. credit card or travelers checks). It can be pretty expensive to have to pay for a rental car AND ten days of living at a hotel BEFORE you can receive TLA money from the local Finance office. You will not receive the first ten days of TLA until AFTER the first ten days, so plan accordingly. You will need to have a bill from the hotel before Finance will pay you, however you will not need to show any receipts for food costs. Another good thing to do while you are looking for a place to live is to stay in contact with the port where your vehicle is scheduled to come in.

TLA will NOT be approved for any commercial hotel if there are rooms available in any of the Guest Houses at Tripler or Schofield Inn.

TLA has been approved for the following hotels:

Tripler Guest House: (808) 839-2336

Inn at Schofield Barracks: Toll Free 1-800-490-9638, DSN 315-455-5036, Comm:(808) 624-9650

Hale Koa Hotel: (808) 955-0555 or 1-800-367-6027 (between 8 am and 4 pm Hawaii time, daily except for Federal holidays)

Honolulu Airport Holiday Inn: (800) 800-3477 toll free or (808) 836-0661

The Plaza Hotel: (800) 800-4683 toll free or (808) 836-3636

A Further detailed list of approved Hotels can be found by clicking here Approved Hotel List

Housing Information

Housing is difficult to find sometimes. We all go through the hassles of finding a suitable place to live. However, you are taking an important first step here. You might want to print this information for future reference.

If you are a single Soldier, this information will not apply to you.

Once you arrive, with or without your family, sign in to the unit. Your next important step is to obtain lodging. You will need to report to the Fort Shafter Housing Office (808- 438-5063) within three working days of your arrival to have your name placed on a housing list or to be able to get authorization for off-base housing. Be warned that housing lists can sometimes be six months or more of waiting. Other times, it is possible to get lucky and snag a house that someone else has turned down. Housing availability is based on a number of factors, such as your rank; family size; and when you were placed on the housing waiting list. It is also possible to request housing thru Hickam AFB or Pearl Harbor Navy housing office.

Further detailed information can be found by logging onto the MilitaryHOMEFRONT website.

Household Goods

How Long Will It Take My Household Goods To Arrive?

As soon as you've found a place to live, either on-base or off-base, you are going to want to claim your household goods. Be aware that your hold baggage will arrive earlier, typically 1 to 2 weeks earlier than your household goods.

You will want to contact the Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO) at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center, Pearl Harbor. They maintain a 24 hour Voice Response System to help you claim your property. Their number is: (808) 477-4497. If your property is in, this system will connect you to a Shipping Specialist who will give you a briefing, and arrange for a delivery date. Of particular note: The movers are required, if desired, to unpack and setup your household goods. This is important to remember. Also, during the briefing, ensure you have the number to the shipping manager, who will drive out to your site and supervise the movers if there are any problems.

Keep in mind the following average time-frames for shipping and receiving your household goods:

If shipping from the West Coast, your property should arrive in Hawaii within 45 days.

If shipping from Central U.S., your property should arrive in Hawaii within 50 days.

If shipping from the East Coast, your property should arrive within 55 to 60 days.

These are averages and not absolutes, but they are a generally good guideline to follow when planning your move.

Automobile Information

The government will pay to ship one privately owned vehicle per service member when you PCS to Hawaii. If you need to ship more than one vehicle and your spouse is not also a service member who is on orders to PCS here as well, inquire at your transportation office about alternate means of shipping a second vehicle such as "Space A" or using a commercial shipper at your own expense.

"Space A" shipping usually requires you to drive your vehicle to a port on the West Coast of the continental United States.

Rather than purchasing a vehicle in Hawaii (which can be costly) you may also find it less expensive to pay the approximate $1500 to ship a second vehicle to Hawaii through a commercial vehicle shipper. When using a commercial shipper, also keep in mind that it may also save you money to drop the vehicle off at a shipping center rather than having the shipping company come and pick the vehicle up from you.

Again, inquire with your transportation office about the options available to you locally.

Where Do I Pick Up My vehicle?

Your vehicle will be sent to Sand Island (Pier 51-B). You should call the 24 hour line: (808) 848-8383 to get information on whether your auto has arrived. Have your DD Form 788 (Shipping Documents) when you call and when you go to pick it up. You can also check the status of your vehicle's whereabouts at

The type of auto insurance needed in Hawaii is called "No-Fault", and is required for everyone operating their vehicle. No vehicle can be driven on the roads of Hawaii without it. It is best to get this insurance immediately.

All vehicles have to be registered on base within 72 hours of arrival. You must have your registration, ID Card, a safety inspection, and proof of Hawaii's No-Fault Insurance. Your auto has to be registered with the Hawaii DMV within 10 days from the time you picked up your vehicle.

If you are a resident of another state, you do not have to pay the weight tax. You will need to get a waiver form from either the Military Personnel Division or the S-1 Office. This form is called a DF-L-50. Most times, it only costs about $10 dollars to register your car with the DMV.


Hawaii is a rabies free state. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the presence and spread of rabies. Success of the quarantine program is dependent on maintaining isolation of your pet from other animals for the required quarantine period. Importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii is governed by Chapter 4-29 of the State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture Administrative Rules. This law says that these animals are required to complete a 120-day confinement in the State Animal Quarantine Station. If specific pre-arrival and post-arrival requirements are met, animals may qualify for a 30-day quarantine or a new 5-day-or-less quarantine that became effective on June 30, 2003. Do not delay in preparing your family pets for movement to Hawaii as it could mean the difference between them having to be quarantined for 30 days, for 120 days or for the new 5 day or less program.

Hawaii has three quarantine programs available: a five day or less program, a one month (30 days) and a four month (120 days). Your pets must pre-qualify for the 5-day or less and 30-day quarantine programs. The cost of quarantine is approximately $224 per pet for the 5-day or less program, $655 per pet for the 30-day quarantine and $1,080 per pet for the 120-day quarantine. The full amount must be paid 30 days after the pet has arrived. For active duty personnel, the DOD now provides $550 for quarantine fees per family which you can claim as an expense on your travel voucher when you inprocess finance.

At the time of travel, your dog or cat must also be accompanied by a health certificate issued by an accredited veterinarian within 14 days prior to arrival in Honolulu.

Also, it is advantageous to have the animal checked for heart worms, and start a prophylactic treatment. Be sure to include any medication and instructions with the cage of the animal.

Please read this pamphlet to determine the exact requirements for your pets and each quarantine program. For more information on animal quarantine or importation of other pets, please go to the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture website or you may e-mail at: For information on importing dogs and cats, you may call (808) 483-7151. For information on importing other types of pets, please call (808) 832-0566.

What Are My Opportunities For Education?


There are numerous opportunities for furthering your education here in Hawaii. The Fort Shafter Education Center offers classes to further your degree or area of interest. Leadership classes are also available here. In addition, Tripler Army Medical Center and Schofield Barracks are other Army Education Centers available to assist in furthering your education. For more information about your opportunities, click here.

Public Schools

If you have school-aged children, there are some things you need to know. If your child will be starting school for the first time in Hawaii, the following documents must be provided to the applicable school:

1. A complete health examination record (State of Hawaii Form 41, Pupil's Medical Report) or a Doctor's physical exam statement to prove that (a) a physical examination, (b) a TB Tine Test, and (c) all required immunizations have been completed within the last 12 months;


2. A signed statement from your Doctor or medical clinic to prove that your child is receiving this medical care, or has an appointment to start receiving this care. Except for the TB Clearance, the law allows you 90 days (three months) to complete all medical requirements. After that time, you will receive official notice on wether your child is qualified to attend school.

For more information about school systems click Schools Support Services.

The following immunizations are required for entry into school:

Diptheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT)
T.B. Tine Test
To avoid unnecessary delays, please carry your children's immunization health records in your personal baggage when you travel.

Private Schools

Many good private schools are available in Hawaii, most with a religious affiliation. Tuition rates range from $900 to $7,500+ per year. Some schools with very good reputations are normally filled to capacity for the coming year by the early summer months. If you plan to enroll your child(ren) in a private school, contact should be made with the school(s) as soon as possible upon arrival in Hawaii. Call (808)655-4444 for a current list of public and private schools on Oahu.



HHBn ensures the readiness for the USARPAC Headquarters, Staff and all attached units in order to support the USARPAC Commanders Theatre Army Strategy for the Asia-Pacific. O/O, deploy and provide unit level command and control and sustainment support to deployed USARPAC elements while sustaining support to the Main Command Post (MCP) in garrison.


LTC Christopher B. Wells

LTC Christopher B. Wells